How do you get your ideas noticed among all the noise in the world today?
This week’s guest is Dorie Clark and she has the formula for making your ideas stand out from the rest. In today’s crowded market, coming up with great ideas is not enough to be successful. You must also have a strategy for getting your ideas heard while building a loyal community.
“Most breakthrough ideas don’t come in an instant, they come as a result of rolling up your sleeves and getting to work.”
We’ll be talking about Dorie’s new book; Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It. Dorie will also share her proven strategies for coming up with breakthrough ideas, having those ideas stand out, and how to build a following around them.
Whether you’re looking for that new breakthrough idea or you’re trying to build a following around an existing one, Dorie will ensure that you are focused on the right strategy and mindset to get your ideas heard.
Here are some of Dorie’s favorite things:
Most Influential Book
Business Super Power
Most Effective Strategy for Growing Your Business
- Content creation – blogging consistently over time for high profile publications.
Favorite Business Tool or Resource
Most Recent Exciting Adventure
- Dorie recently went to Brazil where she was teaching for Smith College Executive Education in partnership with Fundacao Dom Cabral (Brazil’s best business school). She was excited to see Rio for the first time but before making it to Brazil, there was some miscommunication and Dorie didn’t realize she needed a visa. Luckily, she was able to get one at the last minute!
- The two things you must do to become a recognized expert at anything.
- Five common strategies for coming up with breakthrough ideas – 1) mixing disciplines, 2) creating a niche strategy, 3) doing original research, 4) tackling a worthy project and 5) creating a framework.
- Dorie says that most breakthrough ideas don’t come in an instant, they come as a result of rolling up your sleeves and getting to work.
- Spreading your ideas is a 3-step process: building your network, building your audience, and building your community.
- Dorie describes her number one strategy for building and expanding her network.
- When building your audience, think about where your interests and natural strengths overlap with where your target audience likes to hang out.
- Dorie describes how she grew her community by doubling the size of her email list in the past few months.
- It doesn’t take time to have a great idea, it takes space – if your mind is cluttered with thoughts, there is no room for a great idea to come to you.
Links for Dorie:
- Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It
- Reinventing You: Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future
- Finding Your Breakthrough Idea: TEDxBeaconStreet Talk
- Download your FREE 42 page Stand Out Workbook
- Contact Dorie
- Say hello to Dorie on Facebook and Twitter