Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
Have you ever felt that your relationship with money is tied up in knots? My guest this week has a passion for untangling money knots. Shell Tain is a certified coach, speaker, facilitator and expert with helping her clients navigate their money issues.
“Money is a great tool for reflecting how we feel about ourselves”
From an early age, money management was part of her dad’s plan. For Shell to get her allowance, her little ledger book had to be balanced. It didn’t matter what she chose to spend the money on; the only thing that mattered was the balanced ledger.
Her father took the time to teach Shell how to track her money, account for it and make it work to her advantage. This practice has helped her in her career as a financial Controller and now as the Founder of Sensible Coaching.
“Safety does not come from stuff or money. It comes from inner fortitude.”
Listen in as Shell unravels the reasons why most of us behave a certain way when it comes to money and how to change those behaviors to untangle ourselves from our financial knots.
Here are some of Shell’s favorite things:
Most Influential Book
Business Super Power
- The ability to pick up on subtleties and bring the conversation back around.
Most Effective Strategy for Growing Your Business
- Having people realize that they are in a safe place when discussing a very scary topic (money).
Favorite Business Tool or Resource
- Color-coded forms for various tasks.
Most Recent Exciting Adventure
- Shell traveled to Texas last year to visit her stepsister for Thanksgiving. Listen for the hilarious story about Shell misinterpreting the word “rifle” and thinking it was a “raffle.”
- Studies show that only 2.5 percent of the population learns to talk about money.
- Why money is such a taboo topic and why we don’t talk about it.
- Most of us have a five year old making our money decisions.
- Why bankruptcy, even though it has an emotional stigma, can be an effective vehicle for getting out of unmanageable debt.
- How Shell helps people get out of a state of financial panic and on the path to changing their money habits.
- According to Shell, emerging entrepreneurs have a difficult time charging what they’re worth because they don’t feel they’re worth it.
- How money is a reflection of how we feel about ourselves.
- Why shame is the number one reason people don’t deal with their debt.
- How some people use money and “over giving” to buy their friendships.
- Money isn’t good or bad; it’s simply a measurement showing you how effective you are at delivering value to the world.
- Shell says when we’re not happy with our money, it’s because we’re not happy with how we’re spending or making it.
- Taking small steps to address financial issues will also have a positive impact on other areas as well (i.e. relationships, work, etc.).
Links for Shell:
- Shell’s website: Sensible Coaching
- The Kid You Left Behind – Shell’s new blog post about today’s episode.
- Say hello to Shell on Facebook, LinkedIn