I think that if we’re really honest with ourselves, we would all like to create work that feels like play.
My guest this week is Kyra Bussanich, Founder of Kyra’s Bake Shop, a gluten-free bakery in the Portland area that specializes in creating the best tasting cupcakes, cakes, cinnamon rolls and other goodies.
In my discussion with Kyra, you’ll hear about how she came up with the most natural business idea in the world by solving a big problem for herself and then experimenting with the idea by showing up to social gatherings and special events with her gluten-free creations.
It wasn’t long before people were raving about the amazing things that Kyra was cooking up in her kitchen. Not only were her baked goods gluten-free, they actually tasted better than the regular baked items.
“You need to step out of your comfort zone for the magic to happen.”
Today you’ll learn about experimenting with your business idea before leaving your day job, using your unique value to create a compelling story for your business, and how to create a business model that serves you and your customers.
I absolutely loved this discussion and I know you will too. Kyra is an incredible example of someone that kept getting out of her comfort zone and the result is a business that allows her to do the thing she can’t not do.
Here are some of Kyra’s favorite things:
Most Influential Book
Business Super Power
- Flavor development and evoking feelings and memories through descriptions.
Most Effective Strategy For Growing Your Business
- Knowing her strengths and weaknesses and how to see the opposite strengths in others so that she can surround herself with people who have complimentary strengths.
Favorite Business Tool or Resource
- Her team.
Most Recent Exciting Adventure
- Every time she starts developing a new recipe, especially when the results turn out the way she wants!
- How solving a personal problem and following an obsession for food turned into a successful business for Kyra.
- The power of saying “YES” and following the opportunity.
- How Kyra experimented with her business idea before turning it into a business.
- Kyra shares her story about applying to compete on The Food Network’s Cupcake Wars and how she won it 3 times!
- Using your unique value to craft a compelling business identity.
- How Kyra uses the blend of a boutique retail space + services as her business model.
- The role of timing in business success.
- Kyra shares her process for facing her doubts and fears and deciding to go big with her idea.
- Kyra talks about her method for staying focused, even though her natural desire is to be more ADD and chase all the shiny objects.
- Why it probably makes a lot more sense to wade into your business idea rather than quitting your day job and diving in.
- When Kyra made the decision to quit her day job and pursue her business idea full time.
- The ONE thing you must order when you visit Kyra’s Bake Shop.
Links for Kyra:
- Kyra's Bake Shop – 100% Gluten-Free Bakery
- Video of Kyra winning the Food Network's Cupcake Wars!
- Gluten-Free Resources from Kyra's Bake Shop
- Say hello to Kyra on Facebook Twitter Instagram