Why do some people succeed in business while others fail?
My guest this week is Amy Wilkinson and she talks about her new book, The Creator’s Code: The Six Essential Skills of Extraordinary Entrepreneurs.
Amy spent five years conducting extensive interviews with 200 of todays leading entrepreneurs including the founders of Airbnb, LinkedIn, Chipotle, Under Armour, Tesla Motors, SpaceX, PayPal, Dropbox and Jetblue. In our discussion, Amy will share the six essential creative skills that turn small notions into successful companies.
“Being a creator isn’t just for someone else. It’s for anyone and everyone.”
Amy concludes that each of us has the capacity to spot opportunities, invent products, and build businesses and she’s discovered the true commonalities that underlie entrepreneurial success.
Creators are not born with an innate ability to conceive and build $100 million enterprises. They have a strong purpose behind the work they do and they hone the skill of turning setbacks into successes. And the best news is that these fundamental shared skills can be learned, practiced, and passed on.
“You have to have to believe in yourself that you’re doing something that really matters.”
During this discussion you will find that entrepreneurial success, as Wilkinson demonstrates, is accessible to everyone.
Here are some of Amy’s favorite things:
Most Influential Book
Business Super Power
- Connecting with people.
Most Effective Strategy For Growing Your Business
- Networking minds – harnessing cognitive diversity to build on each other’s ideas.
Favorite Business Tool or Resource
Most Recent Exciting Adventure
- Amy is currently immersed in launching her book, which is a huge adventure. Amy also shares about getting upstaged on Wall Street Journal Live by “Miss P”, the 2015 Best In Show winner from the Westminster Dog Show.
- What inspired Amy to meet with and interview America’s top 200 high impact entrepreneurs.
- Amy describes the methodology behind her new book and the process for developing a new theory of entrepreneurial leadership informed by 5 years of research.
- Are successful entrepreneurs born or made?
- The art of getting comfortable with being uncomfortable.
- Amy describes the unique approach that creators take when dealing with obstacles.
- What it means to “be in business for the adventure” vs. “in it for the money.” Hint: there’s an incredibly important distinction here!
- Amy reviews the six essential skills of extraordinary entrepreneurs and provides some tangible examples of each skill in action.
Links for Amy Wilkinson:
- Amy Wilkinson, author of The Creator's Code: The Six Essential Skills of Extraordinary Entrepreneurs
- Order your copy of The Creator's Code today
- Amy's interview with Elon Musk, Founder of Tesla Motors and SpaceX
- Say hello to Amy on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Mentioned in this episode:
- Elon Musk, Founder of Tesla Motors and SpaceX
- Sara Blakely, Founder of Spanx
- Carol Dweck – Mindset
- Kevin Plank, Founder of Under Armour
- Steve Ells, Founder of Chipotle
- Elizabeth Holmes, Founder of Theranos
- Peter Thiel
- Doug Dietz of GE Healthcare – TEDx San Jose, CA
- Reid Hoffman, Founder of LinkedIn