You’re a driven business builder with big plans. Every day you’re out there hustling for work but your message feels a little ‘off’ and out of alignment with who you are.
Let’s face it. You’re real problem isn’t competition. It’s obscurity.
My guest this week is Maggie Patterson and she’s here to whip us into shape about the way that we’re communicating with our tribe. Maggie has 15 years of experience working in the trenches with companies of all sizes – from big brands to solopreneurs.
“Take a stand and tell your story. Learning to effectively tell your story is the best way to get noticed.”
Everything Maggie does is about ditching the cookie cutter approach to copywriting, content and communications.
Maggie works hands-on with entrepreneurs at every stage in their business to use effective storytelling to get better business results.
It’s time to start creating stories that really connect with your customers and set you apart. So stop being boring and stand out and get noticed.
“Don’t be boring. Pick a story that your customers actually want to hear – not the one that you think they want to hear.”
As an emerging entrepreneur, results matter big time and today we’re going to get real about what works, what doesn’t and why 90% of all owners get it wrong when it comes to attracting the right customers.
Learning to tell a better story about your business is one of the most important things you can learn how to do. And today, you’re going to learn how to do it well.
Here are some of Maggie’s favorite things:
Most Influential Book
Business Super Power
Most Effective Strategy For Growing Your Business
- Outsourcing – finding really good team members that you can trust so that you don’t have to wear all the hats.
Favorite Business Tool or Resource
- Google Drive
Most Recent Exciting Adventure
- Over Christmas, Maggie and her family embarked on a staycation where they visited the Canadian War Museum. The trip was incredibly personal and powerful because of family history with the Second World War.
- Hear about the bold move Maggie made to ditch her corporate job and kick-off her entrepreneurial journey.
- The difference between telling a story about ourselves vs. our customer. Note: this is super important and most people aren’t getting it!
- How to leverage the Know Like Trust factor with your potential customers.
- Maggie shares the 4 categories of stories you should be telling and gives examples of each one.
- Why vanilla content is worse than no content at all and what to do about it.
- How to define and create your own conversation instead of trying to please everyone else.
- Maggie shares the very basics on how you can get started telling your story effectively.
- Why you don’t want to be “The Cheesecake Factory’ of your industry.
- The power of going on an ‘idea diet’ and how this can affect your business success.
- Maggie and I discuss our first hand experience with the simplest path to profits.
- Why it’s so important to build social proof through case studies.
- Maggie shares the biggest business obstacle that she’s had to overcome in the last few years.
Links for Maggie:
- Maggie Patterson – Be sure to check out Maggie’s website where you’ll find plenty of amazing resources including her blog, products + services & more.
- The Story Distillery – If you have a personal brand, or small business, you can’t afford not to be telling stories that help you create connection, rally your community and make people want to do business with you.
- Marketing Moxie Podcast – No holds barred marketing ideas and strategies for entrepreneurs all with Maggie’s signature dash of straight talk and sass.
- Say hello to Maggie on Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Pinterest
Mentioned in this show:
BIG NEWS, friends!
The thing I’ve been working on for the last few months. The thing I have been creating and recreating and planning to release. IT IS FINALLY HERE.
When I first started coaching aspiring entrepreneur types I knew I wanted to help more people find focus and get a meaningful business idea off the ground without risking it all.
In Work Freedom Roadmap, I’m taking a small group on a 6-week adventure to taking the smartest, lowest risk approach to doing work that really matters. It’s accountability + support + community all in ONE AMAZING program.
Only 4 spots left!