Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
What does it take to leave work behind?
In 2011, Tom Ewer decided that he wasn’t living the life he wanted so he decided to do something about it. He made the rather bold decision to quit his secure job and start down the path of becoming a freelance blogger and online business builder.
Tom is the Founder at Leaving Work Behind, where he helps as many people as possible to realize their own dreams of quitting their jobs and building an online business.
“It’s all about persistence. Just keep going, failing, learning from your mistakes and staying the course.”
– Tom Ewer
Through persistence and hard work, Tom has reached the point where he is creating a full-time income while only working part-time. He now has the freedom and flexibility to work on all sorts of exciting projects and pursue his other interests.
One of my favorite things about Tom is his transparency about detailing his successes and failures. He openly shares his experiences of building an online business and firmly believes that if he can do it, so can you.
If you want the plain truth about what it takes to succeed with an online business, this is the episode for you.
Here are some of Tom’s favorite things:
Most Influential Book
Business Super Power
Most Effective Strategy For Growing Your Business
- Email outreach. Specifically, reaching out to others in his niche to establish relationships and friendships.
Favorite Business Tool or Resource
Most Recent Exciting Adventure
- Tom took a trip to the West Coast this summer where he attended World Domination Summit in Portland and then traveled to San Francisco and San Diego.
- Tom talks about why he gave up a really good job to pursue entrepreneurship.
- Why it’s important to identify the lifestyle you desire before deciding on a business model.
- Tom talks about his quest to create work that doesn’t feel like work.
- How Tom turned an online accountability journal turned into a business.
- The biggest shifts in online business since 2011.
- Why time is the most important asset for any new business builder and how to leverage it to your advantage.
- The fine line between completely bootstrapping your start up and spending money to outsource specific tasks.
- Tom’s strategy for finding focus and creating efficiency in his business.
- Building freedom and flexibility into your business.
- Why multiple business ideas can destroy your chances of succeeding and what to do instead.
- How Tom stays motivated to do the work, grow his business, and still find a good amount of personal freedom.
- Tom’s approach to finding the right balance between making money and maintaining your integrity.
Question: What’s your #1 concern about leaving work behind to start a new business? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Interview Links for Tom:
- Leaving Work Behind – Be sure to check out Tom’s website where you will find useful resources for building an online business, Tom’s services, as well as Tom’s incredible blog.
- Be sure to check out Tom’s newest blog post where he talks about turning his business and life around (plus his most recent income update).
- Say hello to Tom on Facebook Twitter Google+