Did you know that risk-taking and adventure is programmed in our genes?
Let’s face it. Most of us were taught to play it safe, not stand out and follow the crowd. Years of conditioning and social pressure have most of us feeling locked in a predictably boring existence.
My guest this week is someone that will challenge your view on what it means to take risks and seek adventure. He’s an expert at taking smart risks and challenging the status quo.
I’m speaking with Tyler Tervooren, founder of Riskology.co, an independent entrepreneur and an adventurer. He’s ran a marathon on every continent (including Antarctica), he’s organized two Guinness world records, and he’s the Adventure Czar behind World Domination Summit in Portland, OR.
“Adventure isn’t just something to accomplish, it’s something that changes you.” – Tyler Tervooren
Tyler is an expert at taking the things that might seem really risky and out of reach to most people, and breaking them down into strategies and tactics that anyone can understand and then apply to their own life.
If you’ve ever thought about doing things differently, whether it’s booking a trip to that place you’ve always wanted to go, re-engineer your life or job or just add a little more challenge to your life, then this is the episode for you.
Here are some of Tyler's favorite things:
Most Influential Book
Business Super Power
- Ability to observe and understand others.
Most Effective Strategy For Growing Your Business
- Build connections – get to know people who know stuff about the things that you need to know.
Favorite Business Tool or Resource
Most Recent Exciting Adventure
- Going to the Dominican Republic on his honeymoon and enjoying the experience from a more traditional tourist perspective. When you’re used to traveling on a whim and talking your way out of sticky situations with Russian police officers, sipping Pina Colada’s on the beach can seem like welcome adventure of it’s own.
- Is there really such a thing as a “risk gene”?
- Tyler shares his simple strategy for risk-taking and how this can lead to a more fulfilling and adventurous life over time.
- Examples of applying smart risk-taking to travel and investing.
- The importance of taking risks with a long-term perspective vs. taking risks out of desperation.
- Tyler describes his process for selecting adventure.
- How adventure increases our capacity to take risks and be more creative.
- Tyler shares his recent account of running a marathon on every continent and how that’s impacted him personally.
- Examples of Tyler’s narrow escapes and near mishaps while exploring other parts of the world.
Question: What was your last adventure – big or small? And what's the next one? Please share in the comments section below.
Interview Links for Tyler:
- Riskology.co – Be sure to check out Tyler's main website where you will learn how the smartest people in the world make life-changing decisions.
- The Riskology Lab is a new community dedicated to becoming smarter, stronger, better, and more adventurous in your life and career. If you believe in the power of smart risk-taking to make the world better, this is the place to connect with others just like you.
- Tyler's TEDx talk where he discusses how adventure makes you smarter, stronger and attractive.
- Say hello to Tyler on Facebook Twitter Instagram