Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
What comes to mind when you hear the word “Expert”?
What comes to mind when you hear the word “unknown?”
Now, if you’re in business for yourself (or plan to be) which word sounds like the better option?
Today’s guest discusses a fundamental truth in business. You’re either perceived as an expert or you’re not. And if you’re not being seen as an expert, what is it really costing you?
Catriona Pollard is with me on the show this week and she is passionate about helping people find their authority and communicate it clearly and with purpose.
Catriona Pollard is the founder and director of CP Communications – one of Australia’s most respected and innovative PR and social media agencies. She is also the author of ‘From Unknown To Expert’, Catriona’s new book that is a step-by-step process for growing your profile, expanding your influence and increasing your income by becoming a recognized expert.
“At what point in my life did I decide that my stories weren’t important enough or that my expertise wasn’t good enough?”
– Catriona Pollard
After years of staying behind the scenes, Catriona finally reached a point of complete frustration on November 9th of 2010.
She was making a presentation to a room full of people. She was so nervous and remembers looking at the light shining from the spotlight. There was absolute silence as the audience waited. She looked out to the crowd, took a breath and began to speak.
And do you know what happened?
She realized that she deserved to be in the spotlight. For the first time, she wanted people to hear her speak.
Because she realized that she had something important to say. Something that could change people’s lives for the better.
If you are guilty of playing small and not claiming your role as an expert, then you need to hear this episode.
Here are some of Catriona’s favorite things:
Most Influential Book
- Cave In The Snow by Tenzin Palmo
Best Conference or Industry Event
- ProBlogger Conference with Darren Rowse
Most Effective Strategy For Growing Your Business
- Creating genuine connections
Favorite Business Tool or Resource
- iPad mini
Most Recent Exciting Adventure
- Writing and launching her first book in the US and Australia is by far her biggest recent adventure. Catriona is also an emerging artist who creates sculptural basketry and she was just nominated for an emerging artist award.
- What it means to step fully into your power and tell your story with authority.
- Building your reputation, your credibility and your profile.
- The importance of actively building trust within your community.
- Growing into your role as an expert, especially if you consider yourself an introvert.
- Catriona’s advice about positioning yourself as an expert in a way that feels authentic and real.
- Are you guilty of playing small and not claiming your role as an expert?
- Catriona shares simple steps to build your credibility over time.
- A simple strategy for connecting with other recognized experts and influencers.
- Simple things you can do TODAY to start positioning yourself as an expert.
- What’s your deeper purpose for doing the work you do? Answer this question and it will become a lot easier (and more fun) to talk about your business.
- Catriona discusses the important moment in her life when she realized that staying small and being behind the scenes was no longer working for her.
- How Catriona got over her fear of public speaking.
Interview Links for Catriona:
- UnknownToExpert.com – Check out Catriona’s website to learn more about her new book, her acceleration pack, blog and much more.
- CPCommunications.com – Catriona’s main business website which is one of Australia’s most respected and innovative PR and social media agencies.
- Say hello to Catriona on Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn
Subscribe To The Podcast
If you prefer audio only, you can subscribe and listen to The Startup Sessions podcast on iTunes!
Question: What’s one step that you can take to start positioning yourself as an expert? Go ahead and be brave. Add your answer to the comments section below. I read and respond to every comment.