“One of the ways you can build trust and credibility in the sales process is to show empathy.”
In this episode, Liston Witherill and I are discussing one of the least understood and maybe most important qualities for having a thriving service business. We’re going to discuss scaling beyond referrals and why selling should be an ethical and a win-win situation for all parties, 100% of the time.
How can you serve, not sell, and grow your business into a thriving and profitable venture? In this episode you’ll find out how.
Highlights of This Episode:
- Why conversations and relationships are the keys to growing a thriving service business (6:20)
- Most people don’t set out to become a master salesperson (10:08)
- Two scenarios that show why being comfortable with sales is important (15:12)
- Why do people choose to buy from you? (22:00)
- Why empathy is the key to selling (25:47)
- Why you need confidence around your selling process (30:00)
- Liston breaks down his proven sales process (34:54)
- Do you want to make a change? Here’s your first step (40:38)
“There are a lot of misconceptions about what sales should be and what you need to do, and how to think about it.”
– Liston Witherill
Insights from Liston:
What’s a must-read for impact entrepreneurs?
- Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely
What’s the single-most important trait for entrepreneurs?
- You must be dedicated to constantly learning and evolving.
What are you better at than anyone else?
- Making hip-hop beats. I’m better than any other sales trainer at that.
What idea or belief do very few people agree with you about?
- That sales is an act of compassion and empathy.
What’s the best business advice you’ve ever received?
- There’s a book by Steven Pressfield called Nobody Wants To Read Your Shit, and the essential advice is that it’s not about you, it’s about the people you’re serving; make it interesting and compelling for them, and that is the place you need to start in all business.
Do you have any ‘asks’ or requests of the audience?
- If you get something out of Michael’s podcast, out of this episode, tell someone else about it, because Michael is putting a lot of time into this; he’s really trying to bring great guests to you, so if you’re getting something out of this podcast, tell someone about it!
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Free resources to help you grow
- Apply for a Conversation about Sales Consulting Bootcamp
- Check out Liston’s website
- Listen to Liston’s podcast
- Connect with Liston on LinkedIn
- Follow Liston on Twitter
About Liston Witherill:
Liston Witherill is an author, speaker, and advisor to agencies and consulting firms ready to move beyond the referral. Liston’s work is based on cutting edge psychology, behavioral economics, and his own sales experience. His mantra is “Serve, Don’t Sell,” and he believes selling should be an ethical, win-win arrangement 100% of the time.
Prior to creating his training business, Liston was the owner of a boutique marketing firm, and ran business development and marketing for a $12M consulting firm. He podcasts 3x a week, and runs 3 times a week, and lives with his beautiful wife, cat, and dog in Portland, OR.