“I think being a married, working mom raising children, what I didn’t realize was that as good as I was at what I did and getting lots of things done, what I was lacking and didn’t know I was lacking for many years was connecting and being really present.”
Erin Koss is the CEO and Founder of Syte Consulting Group, where she helps companies go from where they are today to where they want to be tomorrow. While Syte focuses on helping manufacturing companies to scale their growth, it’s Erin’s personal growth and self-awareness that brought her company to the next level.
How did Erin grow her business revenue by 5x in eleven months – and have more time at the end of the day? Listen in for her surprising answer.
Highlights of This Episode:
- What drove Erin to being an entrepreneur (2:00)
- The mission of Erin’s company (4:05)
- Growing her business 5x and having more time (8:43)
- The importance of noticing red flags (16:27)
- How self-awareness and empathy affects daily life and business (24:40)
- Reorienting your tribe after isolation (31:43)
- Why creating space is more effective than being in hustle mode (40:58)
- Stepping into the 20% potential (43:30)
“If you want to create the life that you want, find joy.”
– Erin Koss
Insights from Erin:
What’s a must-read for impact entrepreneurs?
What’s the single-most important trait for entrepreneurs?
- Self-awareness. That’s a game changer I think.
Who’s the most interesting person you’ve ever met?
- A CEO of a food and beverage company I’ve known for 10 or 15 years. I realized I was in that meeting and I was completely present and engaged, and I was genuinely interested. What made him interesting was that everybody is interesting if we’re willing to show up and be present and be interested. It allows you to listen and be empathic and really take in what’s showing up from the other person, because he was passionate and engaged and a wealth of knowledge.
What are you better at than anyone else?
- I do a really great job issue-processing with people.
What idea or belief do very few people agree with you about?
- That you can do less by being more, you can be more by doing less.
What’s the best business advice you’ve ever received?
- The quality of your life is determined by the quality of your questions.
Do you have any ‘asks’ or requests of the audience?
- Find a way to create the space and become more self-aware. If you want a more sustainable business, do that yesterday. I invite your audience to email me about the one thing that’s holding them back from growing to scale.
Mentioned in This Episode:
About Erin Koss:
As the CEO and Founder of Syte Consulting Group, Erin drives the firm’s strategic initiatives, maintains excellence in execution and cares for her staff. Her passion to serve, collaborate with and elevate others began with her family’s business, the Caddis Fly Shop; while still in college, circumstances required her to take over the back office.
With over 25 years of experience partnering with companies to optimize people, processes and technology, Erin is uniquely qualified to help her clients reduce costs as they scale their growth.
In addition to being an active member of her local Chamber of Commerce, Erin can be found presenting at a variety of speaking engagements throughout the year. A native of Eugene, Oregon, she and her husband Mark, who is an engineer for the Eugene Fire Department, returned to the area in 1999 to put down roots and raise their two children. Erin is an avid runner and enjoys spending time outdoors with family and friends.