“Thoughtful givers are very smart about thinking through what is going to be useful, and giving based on the information as opposed to just giving for the sake of giving.”
Michael Roderick is an expert connector with a passion for helping thoughtful givers become thought leaders. His practical advice on connection, collaboration, and investing in relationships will help you learn how to create lasting impact and value with every connection you make.
Highlights of This Episode:
- How to know if you’re a thoughtful connector (3:55)
- How Michael's diverse background served him in the work he does today (5:45)
- Using your zone of brilliance to help others in need (10:45)
- Going from Broadway producer to Founder and CEO (13:15)
- Michael’s guiding philosophy on connection and collaboration (16:45)
- Showing up as a connector vs. a networker (21:30)
- How to become a resource instead of a service provider (25:47)
- How to connect with integrity and honesty (41:48)
“So many of the problems we’re struggling with can be solved by paying attention to the person on the other side of the table.”
– Michael Roderick
Insights from Michael:
What’s a must-read for impact entrepreneurs?
- Your Brain at Work by David Rock. It helps you understand what’s happening physiologically in our brain when you’re making decisions.
What’s the single-most important trait for entrepreneurs?
- Resilience. You’re going to go up and down all the time.
Who’s the most interesting person you’ve ever met?
- My friend Jeff Maddock, he’s done so many amazing things.
What are you better at than anyone else?
- The combination of relationship building and thought leadership.
What idea or belief do very few people agree with you about?
- You shouldn’t open a conversation with, “How can I help you?”
What’s the best business advice you’ve ever received?
- “You’ve got to clean your pipeline.”
Mentioned in This Episode:
- Visit Michael’s website
- Follow Michael on Twitter
- Connect with Michael on Facebook
- Hang With Your Heroes Handbook
- Access to Anyone Podcast
About Michael Roderick:
Michael Roderick is the founder of Small Pond Enterprises, a company that works at the intersection of relationship building and thought leadership. Michael helps thoughtful givers become thought leaders using the same methodology he used to go from being a high school English teacher to a Broadway producer in under two years.
Michael helps innovative entrepreneurs and visionaries move from the middle to the mainstream by developing a referable brand that people remember and quote. Michael is also an expert at how to build authentic relationships that lead to real business opportunities. His concepts have been featured in Forbes, Business Insider, and numerous podcasts. He also is the host of the Access to Anyone Podcast and the founder of ConnectorCon, a conference for connectors in New York City.