Have you ever committed to more than you can handle? Too many business builders wreck their chances of success by spreading their energy too thin and attempting to accomplish too much at once.
Understanding this challenge has allowed Dorie Clark to simplify her goal setting and optimize her impact. She discusses how our ability to master the right kind of big goals – the ones that can change your life – will allow you to make progress on the projects that matter most.
“Doing more is tempting. What actually makes us successful is the act of making choices, prioritizing and executing.” – Dorie Clark
Highlights of This Episode:
- How Dorie gets big things accomplished by setting only two professional goals every 6 months.
- Why quarterly planning makes more sense than annual planning.
- How to be flexible and fluid when setting business priorities.
- Smart strategies for saying “no” when you’re getting too many requests for your time.
- Dorie shares a great example of how to build in margin for seizing opportunities that emerge.
- Why it’s essential to carve out uninterrupted time to make progress on important projects.
- Key strategies for dealing with email, social media and collaboration tools.
Insights From Dorie:
What’s one word that best describes how you work?
What are you currently reading?
What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?
- Touch typing
What is your best time saving trick?
What idea or belief do very few people agree with you on?
- Far fewer people should have children. Only people who are mature, ready, and in a good place should proceed.
What’s the best business advice that you’ve ever received?
- Build an email list
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Download Your Free Recognized Expert Evaluation Toolkit
- Visit Dorie at DorieClark.com
- Stand Out: How to Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following Around It
- Episode 96: How To Find Your Breakthrough Idea and Build a Following
- HBR article: Don’t Set Too Many Goals for Yourself
- The End of Competitive Advantage: How to Keep Your Strategy Moving as Fast as Your Business by Rita Gunther McGrath
- Connect with Dorie on Twitter
About Dorie Clark:
Dorie Clark is an Adjunct Professor of Business Administration at Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business and the author of Reinventing You and Stand Out, which was named the #1 Leadership Book of 2015 by Inc. magazine, one of the Top 10 Business Books of the Year by Forbes, and was a Washington Post bestseller. A former presidential campaign spokeswoman, the New York Times described her as an “expert at self-reinvention and helping others make changes in their lives.”
“When you know what your goal is, it enables you to know what to say “yes” to and what to say “no” to.” – Dorie Clark