Every entrepreneur wants to be more effective, more efficient and get more of the important things done. This week’s guest is Mike Vardy of Productivityist and he’ll be sharing how he started a business on the side, juggled a full time job and family – all while establishing himself as a leading expert in a crowded market.
“Being comfortable is great until it becomes complacency.” – Mike Vardy
Highlights of This Episode:
- Mike talks about how he turned a side business into Productivityist.
- Mike discusses his moments of doubt along the way and how he deals with fear when it shows up.
- Mike shares a recent experience with overcommitting.
- How to frame your time and create boundaries to ensure more freedom in your life.
- Mike gives a perfect example of trusting your thoughts & feelings together.
- The difference between ‘need to do,’ ‘want to do,’ and ‘ought to do’ activities.
- ‘Doing’ from a place of desire vs obligation.
- The simple yet powerful concept of using daily themes.
- Using the ‘Three Words' activity as a filter for saying “yes” or “no.”
Insights From Mike:
What’s one word that best describes how you work?
What are you currently reading?
- Rules For a Knight by Ethan Hawke
- Beyond Satisfaction: The Secret to Crafting a Profitable Online Course That Will Change Lives by Breanne Dyck
- Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Success by Adam M. Grant
What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?
- Finding the productivity in everyday, mundane things.
What is your best time saving trick?
- Theme your days.
What idea or belief do very few people agree with you on?
- Not scheduling everything in your calendar and that you have to be an early bird to be productive.
What’s the best business advice that you’ve ever received?
- Give more than you receive.
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Find Mike at Productivityist.com
- Connect with Mike through email or Twitter
- The Productivityist Podcast
- The Productivityist Playbook
- World Domination Summit
About Mike Vardy:
Mike Vardy is a writer, speaker, podcaster and productivity strategist from Victoria, BC, Canada. His company is Productivityist and the company's mission is to help people stop ‘doing' productive and start ‘being' productive.
Mike has served as the Managing Editor at Lifehack and has written for 99u, Lifehacker, SUCCESS Magazine, and more. Mike speaks all over North America at events like TEDx Victoria, South by Southwest Interactive, and creativeLIVE.
“You can have the best intentions in the world, but if you’re not paying attention, it’s directionless.”
– Mike Vardy