Nick Hughes is a multi-faceted founder and entrepreneur. With several projects and start-ups currently underway, Nick shares some incredible strategies for managing your priorities, preventing distractions and thriving as an entrepreneur.
“If you allow distractions to control you, you’re subject to someone else’s agenda.”
Highlights of This Episode:
- Nick walks us through how he manages his time & energy while running three companies.
- How chunking time helps Nick optimize his workflow.
- Preventing distractions by turning off your notifications.
- Connecting entrepreneurs through Founders LIVE.
- The importance of getting into community with like-minded entrepreneurs.
- Nick recommends a benchmark for deciding when to keep a business going vs shutting it down.
- The value of obtaining an outside perspective with a trusted mentor who will tell you the truth.
- Barriers to launching a business have decreased but competition has increased.
- As a founder, your biggest challenge will be time and attention.
- Nick breaks down the top qualities and skills required to be a thriving entrepreneur.
- Nick shares the story behind his most recent startup, Callin’it.
Insights From Nick:
What’s one word that best describes how you work?
What are you currently reading?
What everyday thing are you better at than anyone else?
- Inbox zero – returning and clearing out emails.
What’s your best time saving trick?
- Working in small, intense chunks of time.
What idea or belief do very few people agree with you on?
- Face-to-face interactions are even more important today than ever before.
What is the best business advice you’ve ever received?
- When you take a risk, you want to understand the downside, put in place protection and then move forward.
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Founders LIVE
- Watch for the Callin’it app in mid-October!
- Nick’s Blog: So Entreprenuerial
- Connect with Nick on Facebook or Twitter
- Email Nick Hughes
“You’re either choosing your priorities or they are being chosen for you.”
About Nick Hughes:
Nick Hughes is a serial entrepreneur from Seattle with business achievements in e-commerce, media, digital payments and technology start-ups
In addition to his work with Founders LIVE, Nick is currently cofounder and CEO of Code Alley, a DevOps Engineering Service headquartered in Seattle and is also working on Callin’it, a cool new app for sports fans.
As a sought after advisor, entrepreneurial speaker and writer with guest appearances on popular technology and media outlets, Nick enjoys helping others discover their unique entrepreneurial path.