Have you ever had an unconventional idea or passion that you think may be a great business idea? Find out how this week’s guest, Nick Gray, turned an interesting hobby into a $1.2M+ business while revolutionizing a stagnant industry.
“I wanted to do something big in this world.”
– Nick Gray
Highlights of This Episode:
- How a romantic date turned into a $1M+ business.
- Nick shares how he knew it was time to leave his full time job to focus on his business.
- Why it was initially challenging for Nick to charge people for doing the work he loved.
- The importance of having a big vision and wanting to make a big impact.
- How to balance the needs of the business while staying true to your vision.
- The importance of creating a premium product or service in the early stages of you business (There’s much more to this than you might think).
- Nick shares his best practices for unconventional team building.
- Why it’s critical to entertain your audience before educating them.
- Storytelling is the foundation for success at Museum Hack.
- Nick shares one of his most memorable experiences from giving museum tours.
“Stories are how we make sense of the world.”
– Nick Gray
Insights From Nick:
Most influential book?
- The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal by Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz
What is your business superpower?
- Making traditionally boring businesses cool.
What bold promise can you make to everyone you meet?
- When I’m talking to you, I will try to acknowledge your presence, look you in the eye, and be present.
What idea or belief do very few people agree with you on?
- Toilet paper is stupid and bidets are so much better.
If you could call yourself five years ago, and only had 30 seconds, what would you say?
- Buy more Amazon stock!
What do you most want to be remembered for?
- Creating a company that drives a new generation of museum lovers.
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Check out Museum Hack at MuseumHack.com
- TEDxFoggyBottom: How I learned to stop hating and love museums
- Connect with Nick on Twitter or Facebook
- Scott’s Pizza Tours
About Nick Gray:
If you’ve ever taken a museum tour, you know that they can be pretty dull. Nick Gray is out to change that. Nick is the founder and CEO of Museum Hack, a company of renegade tour guides.
Museum Hack was founded out of a hobby that Nick had, which was giving tours to his friends on Friday and Saturday nights at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Today, Museum Hack is a profitable business in the art world with 35+ employees who give custom tours at the best museums in New York City, Washington D.C. and San Francisco.
Tours include VIP, Marriage Proposals, Bachelorette Parties, Company Team Building and specially themed tours.