Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | RSS
Michael Riscica’s story is a powerful example of turning a hobby into a profitable business. After combining his passion for architecture and blogging, Michael created the website Young Architect.com one of the leading authority sites for current and emerging architects. We will explore his journey of building an online business to the point where he was able to leave his day job.
“Showing up consistently is ten times more valuable than being talented”
Highlights of This Episode:
- Michael talks about his unlikely journey to architecture school and how this helped him become a brilliant problem solver.
- How Michael gets everything done by leveraging his team.
- A love of bike commuting led to a cross country bike tour across America.
- How blogging about the cross country bike tour influenced the creation of Young Architect.
- How Michael combined his hobby of blogging + architecture and turned it into a successful side business.
- How blogging about his struggles with taking the ARE (Architecture Registration Exam), allowed Michael to connect with his audience in a powerful and enexpected way.
- The process Michael used for finding his niche.
- By leveraging his frustrations and knowledge, Michael wrote a book on How to Pass The Architecture Registration Exam and now assists others with passing the exam through his ARE Boot Camps.
- Michael breaks down how he built a successful online business that replaced his day job income.
- Using an Amazon FBA business to finance the early stages of Young Architect.
- How yoga helped Michael to be a happier, healthier, and more aligned entrepreneur.
- The importance of having support when making big decisions.
- Michael is about ready to launch his latest adventure – a coast 2 coast bicycle ride across America.
“Become obsessed with the project you’re working on. Let it change who you are and how you see the world.”
Insights From Michael:
What has been the most influential book for you?
- Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical, and Financial Destiny by Tony Robbins
What is your business super power?
- Getting people’s attention on the Internet.
What idea or belief do very few people agree with you on?
- Michael didn’t believe the profession of architecture was very aligned to his education, so he decided to start blogging about his experiences.
If you could call yourself five years ago, and only had 30 seconds, what would you say?
- Don’t give up, keep going, work hard and keep showing up.
What do you most want to be remembered for?
- Empowering the next generation of Young Architects be more successful.
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Check out Michael’s blog at Young Architect
- Michael’s book: How to Pass The Architecture Registration Exam
- ARE Boot Camp
- Michael’s latest adventure: Coast 2 Coast Bike Ride
- Create Space
About Michael Riscica:
Michael Riscica is passionate about architecture and has a love for learning, teaching, and serving others. Through his blog called Young Architect, he inspires, educates, and assists architects and aspiring architects with their professional journey.
Michael began studying architectural drafting in community college and he received an architecture degree from the New York Institute of Technology in New York City, NY. He became a licensed Architect in 2013.
After graduating architecture school, Michael felt it was time for a new start so he climbed on a bike and rode cross country until he landed in Portland, Oregon.
Fueled by his passion for architecture, Michael launched the Young Architect blog and was able to leave his day job with the City of Portland to pursue his online business full time.