In November of 2013, Dakota and Chelsea Gale rented out their house and hit the road in a custom built Sprinter van. Their initial plan was a four month road trip. Let’s just say that the four month plan evolved into a world of travel, bike touring, and adventure.
In this conversation with Dakota and Chelsea, we discuss taking risks, embracing adventure, and how travel has forever shaped their lives.
“Sometimes you need to jump into it and trust that you will figure it out.”
Highlights of This Episode:
- Chelsea and Dakota talk about what they love and value in life.
- What inspired Dakota and Chelsea to hit the road in the first place.
- The making of a custom Sprinter van.
- Dakota shares his initial concerns about stepping away from his business when they began traveling.
- How to test drive an adventure.
- How the original adventure evolved into a cross country bicycle tour.
- Chelsea shares a memorable travel highlight about connecting with her past.
- How an invitation from friends led to the next leg of adventure – a bicycle tour through Europe.
- Travel has brought out a sense of wonder and unbound play in Chelsea.
- Travel has been the inspiration for Dakota’s creative pursuits.
- How travel evoked advocacy and even an internship for Farm Sanctuary.
“Focusing on the day in front of you will propel you faster and more effectively than trying to forecast what’s ahead.”
Insights From Dakota and Chelsea:
What has been the most influential book for you?
- Dakota: The 4-Hour Work Week: Escaping 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the new Rich by Tim Ferriss
- Dakota: Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World’s Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself by Rich Roll
- Chelsea: SHED Your Stuff, Change Your Life: A Four-Step Guide to Getting Unstuck by Julie Morgenstern
What is your business super power?
- Chelsea: Deeply caring about all the business ventures that I’ve been involved with as well as advocating for her clients.
- Dakota: Streamlining processes after determining the most effective, minimum dose that’s needed to proceed.
What idea or belief do very few people agree with you on?
- Dakota: Not everyone should go to college and at the very least you should take time after high school to travel, do an internship or volunteer to get out into the world and build self-confidence. Also, a vegan diet enhances athletic ability. Lastly, working in one profession is really risky. You should build skills across the board that can generate income.
- Chelsea: There is life after cheese.
If you could call yourself five years ago, and only had 30 seconds, what would you say?
- Chelsea: Cultivate your creativity. Start a blog, podcast or painting. Do it today.
- Dakota: Stop working for the nonprofit and take those project ideas and start your own business.
What do you most want to be remembered for?
- Dakota: Someone who shared powerful stories and images and was a great friend.
- Chelsea: Living a life in line with her values.
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Follow the blog: Traipsing About
- Details on the DIY Sprinter van
- Send Dakota and Chelsea an email
- Traipsing About on Instagram
- Chelsea on Instagram
- Farm Sanctuary
- So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson
About Dakota and Chelsea Gale:
After years of living in Portland, building businesses, and almost staying put and raising a family, Dakota and Chelsea Gale decided to set out on an adventure. This adventure led them on an 8 month tour through the southwest US and Rockies in their Sprinter van, a 3.5 month and 4,000 mile bike tour across the US, followed by cycle touring from London to Prague last summer.
The adventure continued in 2016 with visits to SoCal and Santa Cruz, followed by volunteering at a Farm Sanctuary in California
Today, Dakota and Chelsea work remotely, intentionally wander, laugh and play a lot, volunteer as they travel, and try not to take life too seriously. They have engineered their lives to travel frequently and live pretty much anywhere they choose.