Highlights of This Episode:
- The difference between business owners and entrepreneurs.
- Lisa unveils her latest project – moving from startups and technology to renovating vintage RV’s.
- You have to be okay with those “Oh shit, what did I just do?” moments.
- To scale your business, get in the minds of your customers, determine what their problems are and create a solution.
- Lisa talks about the biggest missed opportunities for service-based entrepreneurs.
- Why your most valuable asset is your network.
- Lisa speculates on how social media marketing might change in the future and how to invest in influencer marketing.
- How to know if you’re ready to take the leap towards a new venture and how to prepare financially.
- How to approach potential partners about your idea.
- Lisa provides tips on the best use of time spent for personal growth, planning and daily logistical work.
- Don’t spread yourself too thin with various ventures. Determine where to focus your time and energy and work towards that.
- When considering a new business, start by looking at an industry where you’re an authority and determine what problems exist and how you can fix them.
- Don’t build things in a vacuum. Always be talking to your potential customers and this will allow you to succeed much faster.
“It will probably take twice as long and cost twice as much as you think it will.” – Lisa Flynn
Insights From Lisa:
What has been the most influential book for you?
What is your business super power?
- Problem solver.
What bold promise can you make to everyone that you meet?
- Lisa will always be authentic and honest.
What idea or belief do very few people agree with you on?
- My level of risk tolerance in life and in business.
If you could call yourself five years ago, and only had 30 seconds, what would you say?
- It’s okay. It’s okay to fail or quit. It’s not a result of you or your identity. Just do what’s in your heart and it will be fine.
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Lisa’s website: Beautiful Wrecks
- Episode 20: Lisa Flynn – As an Entrepreneur, Know When to Call It Quits and Move On
- Lisa's TEDxWomen talk ‘Changing The Things We Can Not Accept'
- The Psychological Price of Entrepreneurship
- Mercy Corps Northwest
- Say hello to Lisa on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
About Lisa Flynn:
Lisa’s career highlights include delivering a TEDxWomen talk ‘Changing The Things We Can Not Accept', being named Entrepreneur of the Year and being featured in Business Week for her unique franchise concept.
However, she has more pride in her philanthropic efforts – having raised over $1M for local causes, and founding Cool Kids Code, a program that teaches free computer coding classes to hundreds of Central Oregon kids.
Then….she turned 40. We call it a mid-life “moment of clarity”. She hung up her C-level badges and airline frequent flyer status and blended business with pleasure – turning her hobby of rescuing and renovating vintage travel trailers into a business. While a believer in teaching her kids how to create technology, she’s simultaneously encouraging the importance of making memories – which are more important.
“I don’t care how big the problem is, I care about how much you can learn from it and then moving on.” – Lisa Flynn